Fears and phobias of the dentist are very common. Please let us know if you are nervous, there is no need to be embarrassed. Many patients are anxious and we can ensure we have the time and patience for you to help you overcome any anxieties. You are in control and if you feel you cannot continue with the appointment, please let us know and we will not be offended. This can simply be by raising your left hand and asking us to stop.
Dental health plays an important part in overall health and avoiding the dentist can have serious consequences on your well being. We can focus on prevention and maintenance once you are dentally fit in order to keep future treatments to a minimum and reduce anxiety.
It is best to eat a light meal prior to your visit to the dentist and recommend early morning appointments for those who are particularly nervous or diabetic. Tea and coffee etc are stimulants and are best avoided.
Our pledge to you if you are nervous:
- We will treat you with kindness and respect.
- We will make sure that your appointment is as relaxing as possible. If you simply want to meet the dentist prior to making an appointment and discuss your concerns please feel free to arrange this with the receptionist.
- We will attempt to discover exactly what your concerns are in order to reduce your fears.
- It is very common for patients to feel afraid of needles and we are aware of this phobia. We use a topical spray prior to injections to reduce the discomfort.
- You are in control at all times and we can discontinue the treatment at any point that you feel you wish to stop.
- We can show or tell you as much or as little as you need to know.
- We will ensure that you are involved in the treatment choices and provide all the necessary information in order for you to make an informed decision.